Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Raisin Buttermilk Coffee Cake adapted from All Recipes

I was going to KL for my last check-up at Ampang Hospital this morning. I had already planned to give my granma who's staying with my aunt in Ampang a visit after my check-up. Have been baking a lot lately but feel guilty that my granma or my parents haven't been able to taste them due to our distance.

So having this oppurtunity to visit them I decided to bake something special (so I thought. I'll tell you why I said this later).

I surfed for a coffee cake. I just love eating a piece of cake with my cup of coffe with brown sugar. Combination of the two is just so delicious. After a lot of searching for the right coffee make to bake I decided to follow this recipe. Had all the ingredients at hand.

So I woke up earlier than always. Had to bake the cake before I start to change my mum-in-laws pampers then pray and get ready. Then have just enought time for it to bake and cool a bit before cuting it. Had to leave the house by 7.

Alhamdulillah I wasn't long at the hospital. Upon arriving at my aunts I was so excited to show her what I brought only to find out she didn't like anything that had cinnamon in it. Huhuhu. Never mind. No heart hurt. Its the thought that counts right? Hehehe..


Ingredients

TOPPING
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped nuts
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon

BATTER:
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup raisins

Directions
1.In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
4. Stir in raisins.
5. Spread half of the batter into a greased 9"x9" baking pan.
6. Sprinkle with half of the crumb mixture.
7. Carefully spread with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
9. Bake at 175 celcius for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

The actual recipe here:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/raisin-buttermilk-coffee-cake/detail.aspx



I didn't have enough raisins so I added some dates in the batter.
Lovely.
~bon appetite~

No comments: