Sunday, October 16, 2011

Peach and Custard Cake adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly Cookbooks

I was so tired and sleepy this afternoon.But instead of sleeping,I decided to bake a cake!
Sounds weird..I know. I was a bit moody today.Kinda stressed.Best thing to do so that I don't get carried away is by doing something.And nothing sounds better to me than baking...Hehehe.
Besides I just felt like eating a cake with my coffee.I bought this coffee with brown sugar and its so delicious if paired with a piece of cake.Or maybe two..or three..Hehehe.
And I don't want to bake something ordinary.I wanted a cake with a texture in it.With fruits or nuts.
And I ended up choosing this recipe which had both fruit and nuts.Almonds to be exact.Yummy!
This is another recipe from The Australian Women's Weekly Cookbooks.

Picture of this cake in the book.


I had bought the ingredients bit by bit since two weeks ago.Time to give it a try.
Though it was a bit tedious having to layer the batter then the peaches then the custard then the batter...It was all worthwhile.Love it.
Even my mum-in-law loves it.She ate three portions!She started eating with a spoon,then ended up eating with her hands.I am almost quite sure she enjoyed it.
Enough with my ramblings.

Ingredients
1/2 cup (125 gm) butter
2/3 cup (150gm) castor sugar
2 eggs
2 cups (3oogm) self-raising flour
2/3 cup (160ml) milk
5 small peaches (575gm) peaches,peeled and sliced - I used a whole tin of peaches in syrup,sliced
1/3 flaked almonds

Caramel custard
1/3 cup (40gm) custard powder
1 cup (200gm) firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup (250ml) milk]
30gm butter
1 egg beaten lightly

Method

  1. Grease a 23cm square slab cake pan,line base and 2 opposite sides with baking paper,extending paper 2cm above edge of pan.
  2. Make the custard first: Combine custard powder and sugar in small pan;gradually stir in milk.Cook,stirring until mixture boils and thickens.Quickly stir in butter,then egg;cover and let cool to room temperature.
  3. Now the cake mixture: Beat butter and sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
  4. Add eggs,1 at a time,beating until just combined between additions.
  5. Stir in flour and milk in 2 batches.
  6. Spread 2/3 of the cake mixture over base of prepared pan.
  7. Top with sliced peaches.
  8. Spread the caramel custard.
  9. Spoon remaining cake mixture over custard.
  10. Sprinkle with the almond flakes.
  11. Bake in an 175c oven for 50-55 minutes.
  12. Cool cake in a pan.



Just came out from the oven.The smell was so lovely.,it filled every corner of the house.

You can see the layer there where I had put the peaches and caramel custard.

Need I say more?Mmmm....
~Bon appetite~

1 comment:

munirah sulaiman said...

I SERIOUSLY want to try THIS!

Sis, Australian Weekly's recipes never let me down. In fact, I always shop after them among other recipe books! Very simple, yet always reliable and delicious! :)

Good work though! You're getting better and better each day! :)