Saturday, October 1, 2011

Banana Coffee Cake With Chocolate Chips Streusel

I was just in my baking mood again. While browsing gor a suitable carrot cake recipe, I stumbled into this blog and was I interested looking at recipes.
My eyes caught this recipe. I've never seen this recipe before,never heard of it let alone taste it!
But since I had most of the ingredients I said to myself 'Why don't I just try making them'.
And I'm glad I did! You should try it too!
The only thing was this was supposed to be a 'coffee cake' but I ran out of coffee... Huhuhu...
Next time I bake them I'll make sure I have coffee in the house.



For the streusel topping, we’re going to get a small bowl and dump in 1 cup of chocolate chips, 2/3 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon.

Siift together 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda, 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. If you're using salted butter, you can skip the salt.

Dry ingredients sifted.


Mash your bananas. I had four so I used them all up.



Next, beat together 1 stick of softened butter, 3/4 cup of sugar and 1 large egg until the mixture is nice and creamy.

Add in your mashed bananas and either 3 tablespoons of buttermilk OR 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt. I used yogurt.


Slowly add in your flour mixture and blend well.


Spread half of this mixture into your 8×8 baking dish and sprinkle half of the streusel topping on top. Repeat with the remaining batter and streusel.


This is the second layer of batter.


Topped up with the second layer of streusel.


Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let this cool for just as long as you can stand it.





I know my pictures don't look too good. But believe me, it yummylicious!

Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Streusel Topping

Adapted from here and here.
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips ( If you're not much of a chocolate person you should put less )
2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar (I plan to put less the next time I make this )
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon ( I would put 3/4 tsp next time )
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1 1/3 cups mashed very ripe bananas-about 3 large ( I used 4 medium bananas )
3 tablespoons buttermilk or plain yogurt ( I used yogurt )

Method of baking
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and an 8×8 inch baking dish.
2. Stir chocolate chips, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon in small bowl until well blended; set streusel aside.
3. Sift together all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl.
4. Beat sugar, butter, and egg in a large bowl until fluffy.
5. Mix in mashed bananas and buttermilk or yogurt.
6. Add flour mixture and blend well.
7. Spread half of batter in prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with half of streusel. Repeat with remaining batter and streusel.
8. Bake coffee cake until toothipick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
9. Cool for about 10 minutes and serve.

No comments: