Friday, October 7, 2011

Chocolate Almond Upside-Down Cake - Martha Stewarts recipe

How are you guys out there?
Its been such a busy day today. First picking up my ex-student who just arrived from Kelantan at Sec 18 Shah Alam at 6.30 am.
Oh I forgot to say. I had put on the nasi lemak on the stove and made the sambal before I left. Arrived home and finished cooking. My husband was going to have his breakfast by 7.30 am coz he needs to out early for his class.
When I arrived actually my morning guest had already arrived.
There was a Majlis Taaruf at my house. Where 2 people meet for the first time to see whether they are suitable to be a married couple.
Anyway after that was finished it was picking the girls up,shopping for lunch,cook and bake and receiving more guests. Then in the evening send my ex-student at the Batu 3 KTM station then off to Sec 18 again to pick my sis-in-law who arrived from Kedah.


I should stop talking about my activities and focus on the recipe. Do excuse me.
I found this at Martha Stewarts website. There was a video that showed how it was done and I got attracted to try.

Tempting
Ingredients


For The Caramel Topping
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 1/4 cups sliced or slivered almonds, lightly toasted


For The Cake
1 1/4 cups cake flour (not self rising)
1/2 cup cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Directions


Prepare the topping:
1. Generously butter a 10-inch round nonstick cake pan. (I used a square 9"x9" baking pan)


2.Pour 6 tablespoons melted butter into the cake pan and swirl to coat the bottom; sprinkle in brown sugar. Drizzle honey over sugar and sprinkle evenly with almonds.


3.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Prepare the cake:
1.Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together three times to make the cake extra light.


2.Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat until smooth and fluffy. Add sugar and continue mixing. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Continue beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.


3.With the mixer running on low speed, add a third of the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add half the buttermilk and continue mixing. Add another third of the dry ingredients, mix, and add remaining buttermilk and vanilla. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour the batter into the pan.


4.Bake until set in the center and springy, 45 to 55 minutes.


5.Run a knife around the edge of the pan and immediately invert the pan onto a serving platter. Let it sit with the pan still on top for 5 minutes so the caramel can soak into the cake a bit, before removing the pan. If the topping is sticking to the pan, warm the pan surface over a low burner to loosen the caramel and then pour it over the cake. Let cool completely. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife.

Lovely



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: