Thursday, June 2, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes

The very first time I laid eyes on this cake,I went like eeiiww!It looks scary.RED?Definately not my favourite colour.But after a while I got facsinated to try to bake it.As usual I surfed and searched for days.Found so many recipes that I can't even recall where I copied them from.I think I wrote at least 3 different recipes in my notebook.And watched videos too.Load of them.
Until just now,only did I find the courage to choose one and just go for it.And this was the result.
Tadaaa...!!
Its not too sweet unlike many other cupcakes.Yet it melts in your mouth.Do try them.
I took my recipe here but with a bit of alterations.


Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups  all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups  sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda bicarbonate
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups corn oil(any vegetable oil will do)
1 cup buttermilk
2large eggs
3 tbs red food colouring
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp apple cider vinegar(normal white vinegar will do too)

Cream cheese topping:
1 pound cream cheese
1 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups sifted icing cugar


 

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
  3. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for at 180c for aboutabout 25-30 minutes. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.



For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.


Cook's Note: Frost the cupcakes with a butter knife or pipe it on with a big star tip.

Soft and fluffy...Bon apetite~

No comments: