Friday, November 25, 2011

Orange Date Cake

In another baking mood today.Honestly I don't know when this is going to end.Huhuhu.
Flipped the Australian Womens Weekly Cookbook over and over again and finally landed my eyes on this recipe.Its just so happened that the night before someone gave us 2 boxes of dates.So I thought I might as well use it up or otherwise it will be wasted.Found a simple and nice recipe for me to try.So lets see the ingredients first.


125gm butter chopped
3 tsp grated orange rind (I only managed to get 2tsp)
3/4 cup (165gm) castor sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
1 1/2 cups (225gm) self-raising flour
3/4 cup (120gm0 chopped pitted dates
1tbs yogurt (this one I added)



  1. Grease 20cm ring cake pan.
  2. Combine butter,rind,sugar,eggs,juice and flour in medium bowl of electric mixer.
  3. Beat on low speed until ingredients are well combined.
  4. Then beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and changed in colour.
  5. Stir in dates.
  6. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.Be aware that the mixture is rather heavy.That is why a budt pan or anything with a hole in the middle is highly recommended as it can pass on the heat well to the batter.
  7. Bake in moderate oven (175 C) about 45 minutes.
  8. Turn onto wire rack to cool.


This is how my batter looks like.

The cake in the cooking book is topped with citrus frosting.
I wasn't in the mood for any frostings yesterday.Its good as it is.

This one taken seconds after I took it out of the oven.

Look at the dates in the cake.It does give a special taste to the cake.

A close up look.
~Bon appetite~


No comments: