Thursday, December 1, 2011

Breakfast rolls

Assalamu 'alaikum and good morning everyone.
Yesterday my family and I went to my mums house. She had a gathering with her friends after her usual Wednesday religious class. Actually she made her aqiqah. Yes, you read it right. Her own aqiqah. She was talking with my dad one day about their grandchildren. Who has aand who hasn't made aqiqah. And then it strucked her whether her mother had made aqiqah for her or not. She aked my granma but she couldn't recall. So my mum decided to make hers.
She went and chose the goat herself. And saw it being slaughtered. Took pictures of the 'handsome guy' as she called it before slaughtered and after. She was so happy that everything went well.
I made two cakes to bring to her house. Chocolate carrot cake and Peach and custard cake.


Carrot and chocolate cake.it was still warm  when I took this foto.
Topped it up later with some creamcheese topping.

Peach and custard cake.Always a hit at any occasion. 
Many people really liked them and even wanted to order. But I had to turn them down. I can't take orders anymore.
Anyway I brought home the Lamb Kuzi which I didn't taste yesterday. I wasn't feeling well then. And since we ran out of bread and the buns from my mums house that I took home yesterday became hard after heating it up in the microwave,I decided to make some buns myself.


The batter was rather soft and sticky. But I didn't add any flour. You could if you want to. I just wet my hands so that I can more or less handle the batter. A tip I heard from one bread video recently. It didn't look that good but it taste superb. The only thing I would alter next time is to lessen the amount of salt. This recipe is supposed to be for burger/hotdog rolls. But I guess its up to your creativity.

Ingredients (Ingredients and method copy pasted from the site)

1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 egg

Directions

  1. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until very warm, 120 degrees F (50 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix milk mixture into flour mixture, and then mix in egg. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.I skipped all this since I used a breadmaker.Threw everything in and pressed the 'dough' button.
  3. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls, and place on a greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Cover, and let rise for 30 to 35 minutes.
  4. Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
  5. For Hot Dog Buns: Shape each piece into a 6x4 inch rectangle. Starting with the longer side, roll up tightly, and pinch edges and ends to seal. Let rise about 20 to 25 minutes. Bake as above. These buns are pretty big. I usually make 16 instead of 12.


Hot buns with Lamb Kuzi.
~Bon appetite~


No comments: