Friday, December 9, 2011

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

Since morning I was looking up for a chocolate cake using sour cream. I had bought a packet yesterday and I had to consume it before it goes bad. Thats when I came upon this recipe. But coldn't make it earlier during the day coz I wasn't feeling well.

So this evening when a relative said that she and daughter was coming I thought it was the best time to do it.

It was so simple that I only took less than 15 minutes to prepare the batter. Cooked it just in time as they were walking into my house. It was moist and very choolatey indeed. I didn't have time to makethe topping but will definately make some the next time I bake this cake.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar

Topping (optional-I didn't make)
1 cup unsalted butter softened
3/4 cup raspberry jam, strained and seeds discarded
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar




Directions
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175c)
2. Butter two 8-inch-round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper. 3. Combine flour, cocoa, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
4. Add eggs, vanilla, sour cream, oil, vinegar (for leavening and a more tender cake), and 1 cup hot water and mix with a wooden spoon until batter is smooth.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until a wooden skewer, inserted into cake center, comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
6. Cool cakes in pans 20 minutes; release from pans and cool completely on wire racks.



Method for making the filling
Beat butter and jam together using an electric mixer set on medium speed until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and beat until smooth. 

No comments: