Friday, April 6, 2012

Chocolate-Almond Upside-Down Cake - My Stress Reliever Today

Juma'ah Mubarakah everyone! How are you guys feeling today?

I'm in a baking mood. This time I'm baking not because Tasnim my ex student is coming over, nor is it because when I opened my fridge this morning I saw half a packet of sliced almonds that was screaming for me to use it. But I'm baking today as a stress therapy. And why do I feel stressed you might ask?
Well... I can't help feeling a bit hurt that some people never feel satisfied that they're taking what is ours that they want to take and take and take any chance the can. I can't voice it out.
But I can bake... So here it is!
I've made this once before but I've learnt my lesson not to put it in one one those baking pans with a loose bottom( dunno what its called ).Its a Martha Stewart recipe so it works well.

For The Caramel Topping
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 1/4 cups sliced or slivered almonds, lightly toasted

For The Cake
1 1/4 cups cake flour (not self rising)-I used all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder,
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt-I ommitted this since my butter was already salty
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened-I used Buttercup which is salty
1 1/2 cups sugar-I only put 1 1/4 cups
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk- I used 1 tbsp of vinegar and added up fresh milk to measure 1 cup.Leave it to stand for 10 minutes
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions
1. Prepare the topping: Generously butter a 10-inch round nonstick cake pan. Pour 6 tablespoons melted butter into the cake pan and swirl to coat the bottom; sprinkle in brown sugar. Drizzle honey over sugar and sprinkle evenly with almonds.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Prepare the cake: Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together three times to make the cake extra light.
4. Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat until smooth and fluffy. Add sugar and continue mixing. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Continue beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. With the mixer running on low speed, add a third of the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add half the buttermilk and continue mixing. Add another third of the dry ingredients, mix, and add remaining buttermilk and vanilla. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour the batter into the pan.
6. Bake until set in the center and springy, 45 to 55 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and immediately invert the pan onto a serving platter. Let it sit with the pan still on top for 5 minutes so the caramel can soak into the cake a bit, before removing the pan.
7. If the topping is sticking to the pan, warm the pan surface over a low burner to loosen the caramel and then pour it over the cake. Let cool completely. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife.
Just lovely and delicious too.

2 comments:

CT Delima said...

As'salam sakinah

Salam kenal dari k.ct menjengah kedapur Cik Manggis terus kesini, nampak sangat menarik Insya'Allah akan cuba jka ada kelapangan nanti :)

Sakinah Omar said...

Kak Ct,
Makasih la sebab singgah my humble blog.
Kek ni memang spesel dan sedap.Jangan lupa cuba.