Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chocolate Banana Cake

Am planning to go to my aunts house this morning to help her pack goody packs for her sons wedding.Wanted to bring something along but was still down with a fever yesterday.But I found this ever so easy recipe taht I couldn't resist trying out.
You guys just have to try it out too.
Forget my ugly picture. but the taste of this cake is irresistable.Its soft and moist and dense.
I think I should say no more.

                               
Lets check the recipe that I got from Joy of baking.


Chocolate Banana Cake:
2 cups (400 grams) granulated white sugar
1 3/4 cups (245 grams) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (75 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder(regular or Dutch-processed)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas(about 2 medium sized bananas) I  used 4 medium sized Pisang Berangan
1 cup (240 ml) warm water
1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
1/2 cup (120 ml) corn, safflower or canola oil(or other flavorless oil) I used my normal cooking oil
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
I added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder


Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
8 ounces (227 grams)semisweet or bittersweet chocolates cut into small pieces
3/4 cup (180 ml) heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter


Chocolate Banana Cake:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or spray with a non stick vegetable spray, a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) pan. Set aside. 


2.In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.


3.In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas, water, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, or whisk, until combined. You will notice that the batter is quite thin. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 to40 minutesor until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.  


4.Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. When completely cooled, frost with the Ganache.


Ganache:
1.Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel, or heatproof bowl. Set aside. 


2.Heat the cream and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat (can also be heated in the microwave). Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. 


3.When Ganache has completely cooled, beat until soft and fluffy (I use a wire whisk). Then spread the frosting on top of the cake. Can garnish with dried banana chips.

**I was out of whipping cream so I made my own ganache from milk,cocoa powder,icing sugar,butter and sweetened creamer.Works well too.

No comments: